Faculty in Geophysical Institute
Research Associate Professor
Elvey 410 D
Phone: (907) 474-7199
- Ph.D.; ETH Zurich, Switzerland; 2008
- M.Sc.; ETH Zurich, Switzerland; 2004
Postdoc Opportunities Fall 2019
- In collaboration with the University of Texas at Austin, we currently have a 1.5-2 yr Postdoc position available to study ice-ocean interaction.
See Opportunities for more information about these projects.
- 21st century regional sea level projections due to land ice mass losses and geodynamic adjustments using 3-D Earth models NASA. PI: R. Hock. Co-I's J. Freymueller and A. Aschwanden
- Using ICESat/OIB elevation and satellite-derived velocity changes to constrain time-varying basal motion. NASA NNX17AG65G. 2017-2020. With Co-I's M. Fahnestock and D. Brinkerhoff.
- Improving Greenland-wide ice discharge projections for the 21st century and beyond. NASA NNX16AQ40G. 2016-2017.
- Collaborative Research: Understanding the controls on spatial and temporal variability in ice discharge using a Greenland-wide ice sheet model. NSF PLR-1603799. 2016-2019. With Co-PI P. Heimbach, UT.
- Collaborative Research: Feedbacks between Orographic Precipitation and Ice Dynamics. NSF PLR-1644277. 2017-2020. With Co-PIs E. Pettit (UAF) and G. Roe (UW).
- Understanding measured variability in the Greenland ice sheet using the Parallel Ice Sheet Model (PISM). PI: Ed Bueler, Co-I's: Mark Fahnestock and Andy Aschwanden. NASA MAP NNX13AM16G. 2013-2017.
My main research interests are the study the flow of glaciers and ice sheets and their interaction with the atmosphere and the ocean. I'm currently focusing on the flow history of the Greenland ice sheet and what we can learn from it to better predict future changes.
- interaction between ice dynamics, calving, and fjord dyanamics
- interaction between ice dynamics and orographic precipitation
- mechanics and thermodynamics of glaciers and ice sheets
- high resolution ice sheet modeling using the Parallel Ice Sheet Model (PISM)
- stability of ice caps, tipping points
- ice sheet model validation